Summer Programs for Writers
"Write the best story that you can and write it as straight as you can."
- Ernest Hemingway
Are you the next Hemingway or JK Rowling? If your passion is writing (fiction, poetry, screenwriting, play-writing, etc.), consider some of these summer programs for young writers. I have chosen these for their prestige, competitiveness, rigor, quality, and reputation. Many of the programs listed below are hosted at universities that host the country's most prestigious MFA (Masters of Fine Arts) programs in writing, and many times the teachers at the programs are MFA faculty and candidates themselves. Talk about mentorship!
Meet other talented peers, workshop your pieces, and prepare to enter national writing competitions. I'll have another post shortly on writing contests and opportunities. Make sure to check deadlines, and mark them in your calendar for next year if this coming summer does not work out.
- University of Iowa Young Writers Studio
- University of Iowa Between the Lines
- Princeton University Summer Journalism Program
- Stanford University High School Summer College
- UVA Young Writers Workshop
- Telluride Association
- Juniper Institute for Young Writers
- Kenyon Review Young Writers Workshop
- Walnut Hill School for the Arts
- Sarah Lawrence Writers Workshop
- California State Summer School for the Arts
As always, reach out if you have any questions, or need assistance with your application.